RSS

Friday, January 16, 2015

Twenty Years From Now.....

Instead of taking a walk down memory lane today, I think I want to take a walk into the future.  Wouldn't that be great?  To be able to have some glimpses into our future?  I wonder will I be happy with who I have become?  Five years from now, 10, 15 or even 20 years from now, what will I see and who will I be?  What will I have done with my life? 

I like this quote from Mark Twain.  I am sure it is true, that we will be more disappointed by the things that we did not do, instead of the ones that we did do.  Reality is, most of the things we did do, we won't even remember doing.  They just become part of the mish mash of who we have become.  Those things that we have really accomplished, with time, effort, stress, work, sacrifice, and planning..... those are the ones that we remember, that we cherish. 

It is funny also, what others remember, compared to what we do.  My kids remember all kinds of things that to me, are just part of the mish mash.  To them, they were memorable events.  So even though we always say, it doesn't matter what others think of us, it kind of does.   Others remember things about us too, things that are just part of our mish mash of lives, that we don't even recall.  How do we want others to remember us?

Five years from now, hmmmm, where do I want my life to be?  What things to do I want to be different?  Do
A little humor, but this is often me now!
I still want to be working at the same job?  Thinking about my   relationship with my spouse, kids, friends.....  Thinking about my financial future...........  Thinking about my own personal development.......  Thinking about my business ideas that I have had for years now.........  Where will these things go in the next five years?  Because five years, ten years, twenty years will come and go regardless of whether or not I want them to, so how can I shape them to be who and what I want? 

I wish 20 years ago, I had slowed down long enough to really think about these things and understand the importance of them, way back then.  But that is looking back, and I am not doing that right now.  Instead, I am looking twenty years from now, and saying how am I going to make the changes that I want to make?  What am I going to do different?  What do I want people to remember about me?  About the things that I did? 

How I want others to remember me
I guess I have some work to do, in creating my next twenty years.  I can create it to be whatever I want it to be, and I need to start now!  So how about it?  Are you there with me?  I dare you to write out your twenty year plan, one year at a time, and see who you are and where you are. Create your own little glimpse into the future.  Do you like what you see?  If not, what are you going to do about it? Change your glimpse to make it better, for it is only a glimpse remember!!   If you do like it, then get a little more detailed about how you are going to make it happen.  Remember, it is going to happen whether your way or not, so make it happen your way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment