RSS

Monday, December 21, 2015

Writers Need To Read

How in the world can a writer expect to write good, if he doesn't like to read, or doesn't take the time to read?

How would you ever know you were a good writer or a bad writer if you didn't know what good or bad writing was all about?

I don't know if it matter's much what you like to read, just read!  I think it is really important to read in the genre that you intend to write.  Writing a sci-fi novel is going to be difficult if you have never read one yourself.  I have learned this one first hand with the novel I am working on right now.  It is a romantic adventure novel, targeted at young adults.  I had the plot figured out, I knew what was going to happen throughout the entire book, but when it actually came down to writing the romance part of it, I struggled.  I knew what should happen, but couldn't get it down in words.  Then I started reading some young adult romantic adventures and "boom", it started coming.  

I also love reading non-fiction books.  No great surprise that several of my written works have been in this genre.  You will write what you love to read.  You will write the novel that you want to read, so read, read and read some more.

When my boys were young in school they hated reading, as most young boys do, but I kept persisting and reading to them every day.  At the end of the day, we would all gather around as a family and I would read, out loud, stories, novels, adventures and all kinds of great books.  I read things like Harry Potter - yes all of them, and several other series.  Guess What????  My boys love reading today!  Yes they do.  It takes persistence and reading the right genre for a person to fall in love with reading.  Some of us come by it naturally and could do nothing but read, while others must push through, but the truth of it is, all great writers will tell you to read, read, and read some more.

So find that perfect balance to read and write.  Good luck with it, and remember one of the greatest authors of all time said:

"Oh the places you'll go...."

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."  Dr. Suess


Go read a book.  Pick up a pen and paper, and see where you go!








0 comments:

Post a Comment