RSS

Thursday, January 07, 2016

On Keeping Journals

First off I must say, I love writing, so therefore I love journals.  But, I have not always been a writer, and yet I still love journals.  Right from the start let's get one thing clear about journals - they are not the same thing as a diary, where one simply writes the day to day happenings of their life.

A journal is so much more than a diary, and in reality can be anything you want it to be.  You can keep a gratitude journal where you write daily things you are grateful for.  You could keep a journal of ideas, quotes, and things that you hear or see that appeal to you each day.  You could keep an art journal, or sketch journal in which you doodle or draw daily, perhaps your feelings,
perhaps just whatever comes to mind.  You could keep a recipe journal of the things you cook each day and what you loved or didn't love.Your journal can be anything you want it to be.  Just figure out what speaks to you, and in your way, keep a journal.

I have had good times where I have written in my journal every day for years, and then it would all fall apart.  I would miss a day which turned into a week and next thing you know it was several years later and I would write again.  These journals have actually turned out to be pretty precious to me now, as I look back at them as a family history of events and happenings.  I read through them and I can remember how I felt doing certain things, and when each child was born.  It is pretty sweet to have them.  However, I haven't kept this kind of a journal for some time now, and instead I write on my blogs.  

Blogging can also be a type of journal.  I print out my posts on my blogs and in my own way they are a form of a journal in what I write, how I feel, what I like to learn, what I like to cook, and so on.  There are millions of blogs that are journal type in one way or another.  If you don't have a blog, maybe it is a thing you want to try out.  You can do it for free, but beware, it can be an addicting hobby!!!

Here is a list of different types of journals that might inspire you into keeping one.  Have fun with it, after all if something isn't fun, we won't keep doing it, that's a given.

  • time capsules
  • travel journals
  • specific topics or studying
  • a daily planner can be a journal
  • dream journals
  • reading journals
  • journals of a specific time frame or even
  • family or group journals
  • personal development
  • project journals
  • gardening or nature journal
  • meditating
  • planning
  • creativity
  • relationship journal
  • letters
  • birthdays
  • memories
  • gratitude
  • prayers
  • good thoughts
  • quotes
  • jokes
  • books and movies
  • recipes
  • art or sketch
  • collections, hobbies, sports
  • health, diet, exercise
  • finances
  • ideas
  • research
  • poetry
  • lessons learned
  • morning pages
  • random writings
  • writing prompts
  • brainstorming, mind maps
  • workshops
  • religious journals
  • daily event journals
I am sure the list could continue on for quiet some time.  There is no end to what you can journal about.  It is a great form of therapy to the brain and the soul.  Do what you love to do, and journal it.  Find what you want to learn about and journal it.  See what you need to heal from and journal it.  The possibilities are endless.  You can do it in a notebook, on a blog, on a computer, or in any way you want, which also make the possibilities even more endless.  

Most importantly, have fun with it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment